Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fitness

Its a strange thing. I used to think very differently about it. Like a commitment to struggle for the sake of health. The struggle was mostly pychological I think, although until now you would have never never seen me running down the street. Slowly and magically exercise has transformed itself in me. I'm not really sure how I got to this place. Perhaps just a constant gentle battle until I began to enjoy it. I never thought this would ever happen to me. I've tried it at the gym, I've tried it with walking and I've tried it with biking. Never have I had cravings for exercise.
2 weeks ago I decided to get back into the lanes after a long period of plodding along with the aqua joggers. At that stage I could do a half length of freestyle (thats 25m of the 50m pool) before I was gasping for air. Today I did every second length freestyle and arrived at the end with only a slight increase in resp rate. I have discovered that with just a tiny push one can do twice as much the next time. I was actually swimming along today thinking about what it would be like to compete in this way. Dont get me wrong, I'm a million miles away from that, but if one can advance so much in 2 weeks I ponder what level I could achieve by the end of the year.
It feels great by the way. Such a unique buzz. I wouldn't go back to my lazy ways any more, well I hope so anyway.

3 Comments:

Blogger hg said...

That's great and also very encouraging! I need to join you.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Squirk said...

I miss convenient opportunities for keeping fit.

:-(

4:20 PM  
Blogger fairy princess said...

I wish I felt motivated about fitness.
The only thing that motivates me is when I see fugly photos of me (see my blog for an example)

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home