Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Good books

I love good books. Recently at work I have had a few quiet nights and a chance to get back into reading. I have two reviews
A Respectable Trade- Philipa Gregory
This book was nothing like I thought it would be, probably partly due to my lack of attention to the blog at the back of the book. The setting is the shipping trade in Bristol in the mid 1700s. It follows two characters, the wife of a shipping merchant and an African priest who has been abducted for the slave trade. The first parts of this book I found quite disturbing, but as all things based on reality ignorance is no bliss, and I felt convicted to read on.The book gets less disturbing as thestory progresses, and it very much puts life into perspective. I would recommend this book for a great read and some challenging ideas
French Women Don't Get Fat
I was recommended this book by a friend and as with most things of this nature I was sceptical. Brillant book- everyone should read it. Every women at least and I think too if one could convince them, Men would also find this book useful. The book is written by a French woman who now lives in America. It shows an insight into the French attitude toward food and how this is different from that of the american. Very interesting analysis of everyday habits that I would have thought nothing of. it has some good practical tips about how to enjoy food without over indulging and even has recipes. I have promised myself I will read this book every 6 months from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home