Monday, August 21, 2006

Hungry Nurses

I am inspired by my husband's recent political lobbing. I am impressed that he has recieved replies to all the letters he has written to MPs.
So it made me think its time I spoke up about the things that irk my world. Ages ago in the hospital there was a food trolley that came around for the nurses on night shift, about 3-4am. It had hot homemade soup, rolls and other healthy snacks. The trolley did very well, a whole huge industrial size pot of soup would sell each night for 2 or 3 dollars a cup. This was of course instead of having a cafe open in the night for the staff.
Then the trolley disappeared one night. Memos flew around claiming profit loss etc etc. As an alternative the CDHB promised to provide healthy vending machines so that the nurses could still be nourished overnight. Sandwhiches, yoghurt and other 'health' snacks were promised. So staff were to go from fresh hot nourishment to packet sandwhiches that would have, no doubt, been sitting there all day.
But the vending machines never came. Currently nurses can revive themselves with chips, chocolate and if in dire need an ice cream. Doesn't this seem strange for a hospital. Shouldn't hospitals, out of everyone, be modeling a healthy enviroment for their staff, and at the very least have healthy options availible??
You may say that night staff should bring thier own food, its not as if every workplace has food ready for purchase.However,
Not every workplace does 12 hour shifts. By the time you sleep, drive and park there are 2, maybe 3 hours left in which to live life. Cooking meals is not always an option.
Not every workplace do you legally have to stay at your beside all shift execpt for breaks.
It may surprise you to learn that in a 12 hour shift only one half hour and two 10min breaks are allowed.

Anyway these things are not the issue, and in fact I don't mind at all doing 12 hour shifts, not leaving my patient and having too few breaks. However WE NEED TO EAT!!!!!!!!
I plan to take this to the board- I'll keep you posted.

3 Comments:

Blogger Squirk said...

You have my support!

We've recently started having little baskets of fruit delivered to our office and I really appreciate having healthy snacks on hand -- even though we're quite free to get up and go shopping throughout the day.

I'm sure that under it would mean a lot more to me if I had the responsibility and pressure in working conditions that you describe.

It might look like an unnecessary waste on the balance sheet, but I'm sure it's one of those things that has so many positive flow-on effects it should be easy to justify.

3:42 PM  
Blogger hg said...

You too have my support. The idea of my dear wife going hungry? It's not fair. I know the full story, and it's pretty terrible. The best part is the lying!

Anyway, if you want my politically motivated hand to help write a letter just ask, you know where to find me.

5:16 PM  
Blogger fairy princess said...

My work just got machines that dispense frozen microwave meals. Maybe that shld get one of those machines, instead and chips and lollies.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home